2nd Annual Symposium and Sale
Promoting the understanding and use of production data for all Katahdin producers.
Please join us as the Eastern Alliance for Production Katahdins hosts its 2nd annual educational symposium and sale on July 9th, 2022 in Blountville, TN at the Ron Ramsey Regional Agriculture Center.
Our educational symposium will begin at 8:00 am and end at 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 9th. We will hold educational sessions led by experienced EAPK members, industry experts, and small ruminant researchers with topics to appeal to producers of all skill levels.
Lunch will be provided.
We will also have an auction of quality NSIP-enrolled breeding stock in a online unique format that will end shortly after our event.
The classes of sheep to be sold will include:
Mature rams two years of age and older
Pens of ewes/lambs
All consigning and bidding will be handled exclusively online through Willoughby Livestock. We encourage consignors to bring their animals to the event for bidder inspection, but it is not required. Attendance and sale bidding will be available for members and the general public.
Click the link above for details how to consign or bid on sheep.
Saturday July 9th, 2022
8:30 am Registration Begins
9:00 am – Alan Culham, Operations Director KHSI
- Selecting for Performance while not Ignoring Phenotype!
10:00 am Dr. Andrew Weaver, North Carolina State Extension Specialist, Small Ruminants
- How to interpret your NSIP data reports to meet flock goals.
11:00 am Jim Malooley, Senior Operations Manager Silicon Ranch, Nashville Tennessee
- Proper Forages, Genetic Selection, and Pasture Management for Grass Finished Lambs
12:00 – 2:00 pm – Lunch Break
- 12:30pm – 1:30pm Producer Panel Q&A
- Jim Malooley, Senior Operations Manager Silicon Ranch, Nashville Tennessee
- Tom Hodgman, Vice President EAPK, Waldoview Farm, Winterport Maine
- Katie Carothers, EAPK Member, Old Slate Farm, Mt. Vernon Ohio
- Robert Walker, Director EAPK and President KHSI, West Fork Farms, Alpine Tennessee
- Lisa Weeks, Director EAPK and Sectretary NSIP, Triple L Farms Waynesboro Virginia
2:00 pm – Dr. Scott Bowdridge, West Virginia University Associate Professor of Food Animal Production
- Managing and Selecting for Parasite Resistance
3:00 pm – Dr. Andrew Weaver, Dr. Scott Bowdridge, Nicole Valliere NC State Graduate Assistant
- Hands on fecal egg counting demonstration (microscopes provided by NC State University).
- Current research updates from NC State and WVU.
4:30 pm – Annual Membership Meeting
Sale will end 7 pm.