Symposium & Sale
Annual Symposium and Sale
Promoting the understanding and use of production data for all Katahdin producers.
Please join us as the Eastern Alliance for Production Katahdins hosts its first annual educational symposium and sale on July 9th and 10th, 2021 in Abingdon, VA at the Washington County Fairgrounds.
Our educational symposium will begin at 10:00 am and end at 5:00 pm on Friday, July 9th. We will hold educational sessions led by experienced EAPK members, industry experts, and small ruminant researchers with topics to appeal to producers of all skill levels.
Lunch will be provided.
We are also planning an auction of quality NSIP-enrolled breeding stock in a unique format.
The classes of sheep to be sold will include:
Mature rams two years of age and older
Pens of ewes/lambs
All consigning and bidding will be handled exclusively online through Willoughby Livestock. We encourage consignors to bring their animals to the event for bidder inspection, but it is not required. Attendance and sale bidding will be available for members and the general public.
Friday July 9th, 2021
10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Using on farm data: collection, analysis, and selection.
- Weights and Growth – Brad Carothers, Old Slate Farm – Mount Vernon, Ohio
- Maternal Traits – Isabel Richards, Gibraltar Farm – North Brookfield, New York
- Parasite Resistance – Roxanne Newton, Hound River Farm – Hahira, Georgia
12:00 pm – 2:00 pm – Lunch Break
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Producer Panel Q&A
- Lee Wright, Rolling Spring Farm – Glade Spring, Virginia
- Kathy Bielek, Misty Oaks Farm – Wooster, Ohio
- Mandy Fletcher, Beyond Blessed Farm – Abingdon, Virginia
- Robert Walker, West Fork Farms – Alpine, Tennessee
- Etienne Richards, Gibraltar Farm – North Brookfield, New York
2:00 pm – Utilizing EBVs and genomics to aid selection decisions for commercial producers
- Dr. Greiner, VA Tech Extension Beef and Sheep Specialist
3:00 pm – Utilizing EBV’s and genomics to aid selection decisions for NSIP producers.
- Dr. Andrew Weaver, North Carolina State Extension Specialist, Small
4:15 pm – Annual Membership Meeting